Saturday, November 14, 2009

Happy World Diabetes Day!

Today, November 14th, is World Diabetes Day! In other words, everyone should go find a diabetic and hug them. Preferably trying not to hit the buttons on their insulin pump if they have one....

I feel like today is a holiday. And it's not even one of the holidays that makes you feel bad for being single. Double whammy! Today I will eat every sugary thing I can get my hands on and then chug a gallon of OJ and regular soda simultaneously. (Ok, maybe not chug, more like drink it through a straw.) Then I will not check my sugar all day and then not give myself any insulin. That will really be a huge FU to diabetes!

Alright, you caught me, I kid, I kid. That would actually be a TERRIBLE idea. Not to mention I'd have the hyperglycemic hangover of the century. Think of a drinking hangover, and then having to pee every five minutes on top of that. Yeah, that's exactly what it is like.

But seriously, I think this is a great way to spread the awareness. I read that 2.8% of the US adults don't even know they have it. I know that number sounds insignificant, but think of how many people already have diabetes, and how many people there really are in America. It is EXTREMELY simple to find out if you do. Just a simple finger prick can tell you, or a blood test, or even a urine test. Believe me, it's a lot better finding out you have diabetes sooner than later. The later part is what can really kill you. In honor of today, please bring awareness to this disease. There's no cure, but there's an awesome treatment. Knowledge is power!

I figure I would post some of the symptoms, but don't freak out if you have to pee all the time. I did before, and I still do now =). These are all general ones, and I had most of the symptoms listed.

Symptoms for all diabetics:
-Unquenchable thirst
-Extreme Hunger
-Frequent trips to the bathroom
-Losing weight without trying (I lost 15lbs. in two weeks)
-Weakness and Fatigue
-Numbness or Tingling in hands, feet or legs
-And sometimes T2's have no symptoms at all

Again, this is not the end-all-be-all of symptoms. But do me a favor, if you do have a lot of them, as least get checked out. You owe it to yourself, and really this disease is not unbearable. I hope that people at least realize that much from my blog. If you do find yourself with the disease, you will manage, and there's a whole lot of us out there. I'm always here to talk!

Today is a great way to appreciate those with diabetes and those with other life-altering illnesses, that are still waiting for a cure. (Little shout-out to my sister with Celiac's Disease- Love ya and hope you're having a gluten free day!) I hope & pray that a cure will be found for diabetes and all other life-altering illnesses. To all the diabetics out there: enjoy this day and try to remember the positives Diabetes might have done for your life! =)

Peace, Love & God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment