Monday, November 9, 2009

Rolling my sleeves up

I feel like I have a lot to say today. Maybe it's the gorgeous weather that has inspired this sudden spark of interest today? Maybe it's just my brain on over-drive? Maybe it's even that medium fry I ordered earlier? Well, all the same, I've been inspired.

I recently read in article in the Parade magazine about Type 1 (T1) diabetes becoming more popular. Ok, sounds normal enough. Except, T1 diabetes hardly gets the publicity it deserves. Many "normals" can't even tell the difference between the two. Unfortunately, in the event that they think they do, they usually describe it as T1 is where the little kids get it and type two (T2) is the one only fat people get. Both of the descriptions are misleading.

Truth: T1 diabetes is mostly diagnosed in younger children. It was formerly known as "juvenile diabetes," however, older people are diagnosed with it. I was 15 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have even had people come up and ask me if I got diabetes because I ate too much. (How rude!) Elliott Yamin, who came in third place on American Idol, was 16 when he was diagnosed with diabetes. I've heard of others in their 20's, and rarely, but it does happen, even later in life. 5-10% of diabetics are T1's.

T1 diabetes is when your pancreas produces no insulin. This means that in order to live, a diabetic HAS to take insulin through shots or a pump. T1 diabetics can not solely use medications and diet to control their disease and there is no cure. It is irreversible. You have to have a genetic pre-disposition in order to get it but there is usually an environmental factor that sets that gene off.

Truth: T2 diabetes is also genetic but depends highly on environmental factors. Having a family history of T2 diabetics is a huge risk factor but only if there lifestyle is not healthy either. You know those people you envy for being able to eat as much crap as possible, not exercise, and still be stick-thin? Well that's not doing the person any favors. Eventually it does effect there body, and if they have a genetic pre-disposition to T2, they very well could develop it. The reason why T2 is most commonly diagnosed in over-weight people is because the extra weight makes there pancreas work extra hard. Therefore, their pancreas is not producing enough insulin. Not all T2's are overweight, which I also want to make clear. And not all overweight people have T2. T2 diabetics can reverse the disease is some cases if they change their lifestyle and follow a strict regimen. Most T2 diabetics are put on pills, and many take insulin too.

Note: There is a blood test to differentiate between the two types. (Side note: there is also gestational diabetes and pre-diabetes but I'm not getting into that now.)

So back to my original rant. I use to read every diabetic article I could find in magazines and newspapers, but almost all of the time it is about T2. Not that it's not important, because it is, but I can't help but be offended that T1 does not get much attention. Even magazines dedicated entirely to diabetes mostly concentrate on T2. But I also think that the media is not doing nearly enough to squash the myths that are floating around, either. A lot of things out there are very misleading for both parties. I've had many people come up to me and say just down right rude things because they just don't know or understand. Unfortunately it is also very difficult to disagree with them after they've read something. Yes, I can have this bag of chips, I am the one living with the disease... just saying!

Oh, I definitely had a lot to say today.

Peace, Love & God Bless

P.S. Apparently today is dblog day (Diabetes blog day). I found this out after I posted. I guess I really was inspired by something else today. Also, this Diabetes Awareness Month. Make sure your loved ones get tested and make sure to hug a diabetic!

4 comments:

  1. Eh, try being a Celiac. At least people know what "sugar" is. ;)

    If type 1 is only 5-10% of diabetes cases, then you should expect it to be covered in only 5-10% of articles, no?

    Seriously, though, I think you're isolating yourself more by refering to other people as "normals" than the other way around. If you're judging how "worthy" (for lack of a better word) you are by how the media portrays a disease you happen to have, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I totally responded to this whole thing... and it got deleted. I actually edited some of the things because it didn't come out right.

    I simply used "normals" for lack of a better term, because honestly, I didn't want to type out: people who do not know someone or personally have diabetes. Not attractive. And long. =)

    Continuing on, I don't gauge myself according to how the media portrays a disease I have. It is a big part of my life, which is undeniable. You understand that. It doesn't define me, but it is a huge chunk of my life, so how could it not impact me. I simply believe there needs to be more exposure. There are millions of people who are walking around with diabetes, and have NO idea. So by spreading these fallacies around, it's simply not aiding anyone. People who think they can't have it because only "fat" people get it (both types included), are sadly mistaken. And unfortunately, many people are like that. I'm know you've dealt with ignorant people like that with your disease. I've seen it. You get really pissed off. I just happened to write about it.

    Thanks for the comment though. I like the thought-provoking comments. That's what this blog is intended for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this post. It taught me a lot I didn't know before. Keep them coming.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chelsie! I like knowing I have an audience, and it makes me feel even better that people are learning something. =)

    ReplyDelete